Friday 17 January 2014

An Old World Place exhibition - the history of Doagh

PRONI (www.proni.gov.uk) in Belfast has announced details of a temporary exhibition from February 10th-28th entitled An Old World Place, concerning the history of the County Antrim town of Doagh.

This tiny village was once a centre of medieval governance; a seat of eighteenth century learning; a playground for Georgian Aristocracy; and a focal point of Victorian industrial development. This exhibition will allow visitors to discover how each of these factors shaped the face of the village we see today, and perhaps provide inspiration for similar projects.

This is one I might try to go over and see when I return from Australia - my Bill lived between Doagh and Templepatrick, and I recently uncovered the fact that they were involved in a massive murder case in the area in 1874, I'm so definitely in the mood to learn more.

For further details visit www.proni.gov.uk/news_details.htm?newsRef=3182

Chris

My latest genealogy books are Tracing Your Family History on the Internet (2nd ed), Discover Scottish Civil Registration Records, and Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet. My next Pharos course is Scottish Research Online, which commences Feb 27th 2014, 5 weeks, price £45.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment